Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Spaghetti Pie

When my parents were still together, Sunday breakfasts as a family were the most important plan for the weekend. Every Sunday morning, my dad would wake us 3 kids up by an amazing smell coming downstairs from the kitchen. This was about 7 years ago, and I still remember the excitement runningdown the stairs to see what was for breakfast. It was almost like Christmas morning every weekend. Although waking up to the smell of bacon and pancakes was extremely comforting and never got old, some Sunday breakfasts were very different. Whenever our family would have leftover spaghetti, my dad would make "spaghetti pie" for Sunday morning breakfast. Yes, it does seem very disturbing and gross to think about. However, it was my favorite breakfast that he made for the family.
To make the famous spaghetti pie, my dad would take the leftover spaghetti from the fridge and compact it and form it into a frying pan on the stove. He would cook it until the top and bottom fo the pile of spaghetti was crunchy and golden brown. Eventually, it would cook all of the way through and leave a delectable crust on the outside. Making the pie was simple, but cutting myself a slice and eating it was beyond delicious. Biting into it for the first time, gives you a perfect crunch which lead to the warm and perfectly cooked spaghetti on the inside. Slurping up spaghetti for breakfast was always fascinating to me, since I was then a child. I thought it was the most crazy idea in the world. It always left me walking away from breakfast with an insanely full stomach.
This memory stands out in my mind not only because of the strange idea of spaghetti pie, but also because Sunday breakfasts were so important to the family. Now that my parents are divorced, things obviously changed; some for the better and some for the worse. The negative effects included not being able to have a family Sunday breakfast. I miss how my dad cooked, and that is why this spaghetti stands out to me so much. He always threw together strange concoctions that tasted sensational, not to mention the family eating was always a blast. There would always be laughter, funny stories, and plans for the week talked about at the kitchen table which created memories I will never forget. I definitely have and still will carry out the tradition for family breakfasts, including the famous spaghetti pie made by my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment