Monday, August 23, 2010

For Thursday, August 26

For this assignment, we will be writing about food as we know it: first, as a material, sensual object that we can know by site, touch, sound, smell, and taste; but also, as an important experience in our lives. The foods we grow up with are important to the memories we make, to the culture we belong to, and ultimately to the people we are or become.

For this assignment, write about a specific food memory. It could be fruit picking with a friend or relative, or helping a parent prepare a meal, or even the experience of not having something that others did have. But whether a good or bad experience, a pleasurable or regrettable one, it should be important to you and who you are.

Write 250 words or more about this food and your experience of it. Begin with context, the time and place of the memory. Then describe the food, using your remembered sense of it. Finally, tell why the memory is important. This last will bring in familial, social, cultural, or possibly national dimensions to your discussion.

For an example from my own blog, see my post on Cucidatas, a Sicilian cookie made during the holiday season. My post is roughly equivalent to what I'm looking for, though I would like more on why the memory is important to you. Really focus on this aspect of it.

Though we may discuss these posts in class on Thursday, as always, posts must be published by 6 pm the day before they are listed as due on the class schedule. Accordingly, this post is due Wednesday, August 25, by 6 pm.

1 comment:

  1. My Nana's Macaroni and cheese:
    For as long as I can remember my Nana was always in the kitchen cooking up another batch of delicious food. Everyone in my family would have their favorites and mine was her macaroni and cheese. I would go over to her house often and she would always have some either in the oven or left overs of it stashed in the freezer just for me. There was not anything extremely special about this recipe. It was your average recipe except for her secrets ingredient was Tabasco sauce. That made the world of difference. The taste of the spicy sauce made your tongue tingle with surprise. She would broil the macaroni at the last second adding crunchiness to the top of the macaroni. Seeing that golden brown top and smelling the enticing smell fill the air would make my mouth water. This recipe had soon become our special thing which then led to cooking being a hobby we shared. This recipe is an important reminder of the times we shared in the kitchen and I can now thank her for teaching me to cook and I will always appreciate her for this.

    ReplyDelete