Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dutch Babies

When I was just a baby, and before my mom had had my six other brothers and sisters, she would babysit for a friend of hers. This little girl that she babysat soon became my best friend even at less than a year old, and we are still friends to this day. When I was really little I would go over to her house and her mom would make Dutch Babies. Yes, I did say Dutch Babies. These perfect round pans of amazingness (to say the least) with lemon juice, and powdered sugar on top. Her mom would make these by putting eggs, butter, flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon all in a blender. Then she would pour it all into a pan and stick it in the oven for ten to fifteen minutes. They would puff up and start to flow over on the sides of the pan, and that’s when we all knew that they were almost done! Then we would each get our own circle Dutch Baby and put all the lemon and powdered sugar on it that we wanted! They were so good! We still make this for each other every time we are at her house, or even mine. It always brings back such good memories! I mean, not only did I grow up in a Dutch town and it always reminded me of many of the things we would eat there, but it also reminded me of what a great friend I have had since literally the day I was born. Every time I eat Dutch Babies I can’t help but think of my best friend and all the great qualities her and her family have, and how she has always been there for me. No matter what, I want my kids to have that experience with a friend of theirs. We already know that we have been friends since the beginning of time and will be probably until the day we both die. And I know that when I have kids I am going to make them this special treat and hopefully encourage and inspire the kind of genuine friendship as I share all the stories that my best friend and I have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment