Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Potatoes

I've have always loved potatoes and all the dishes that can be made from them. When I was younger I would always ask my mom to make some kind of potato side dish every night for dinner. The answer was usually no.
My favorite potato dish she makes is potato soup. No matter how hot it is outside I always ask her to make it for me. I used to think nothing could make me stop loving it. That was until I started working in the plant pathology department.
The two labs I work in study crop diseases in potatoes and onions. Which means I get to help them kill plants and study the results on a regular basis. One day we took core samples from a large batch of potatoes that had been injected with various plant diseases. The process required the core samples to be cut in half and all the dead and decaying tissue to be cleaned out. Every so often the tubs used to clean out the core samples would be dumped into buckets and filled with fresh water. About 3 or 4 hours into the process one of the grad students walked by and commented on how the contents of the buck looked like potato soup.
With loving potato soup so much I was able to see the resemblance. For about a month afterwards I refused to eat potatoes and in form. Eventually I was able to enjoy potatoes again, but every once and a while I remember that day and have to avoid them for the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment