Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Baking With Grandma

Growing up I spent a lot of time with my grandparents, they only lived a couple miles away so they babysat a lot. The fondest memory I have over at their house is my grandma teaching me how to bake. My grandma Shirley started teaching me how to bake when I was about 5 years old. I distinctly remember the smell of things baking in the oven, the flour and other ingredients scattered all over the counter and the occasional spill on the kitchen floor. But there was nothing like that first batch of cookies right out of the oven with a nice cold glass of milk. From snicker doodle cookies to chocolate cakes I learned it all. It fascinated me that you could start out with a bunch of simple ingredients and with the right recipe that they would become something delicious. My grandma was a stay at home mom and mastered every family recipe; there is no competition when it comes to my grandmothers baking. She shared her love for baking with me which eventually became my own; she loved teaching me especially since I was the only grandchild that was even remotely interested. Baking with my grandma is a memory that I will always treasure. It has created a special bond between us that her and her other grand children can’t understand. It’s almost funny that doing something so simple as baking chocolate chip cookies, can actually bring people closer together. Because it has been such a found memory in my life I hope that someday I’ll be able to pass down my love for baking to my children or grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment