Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Christmas Cookies

When I was a kid, my sister, my dad and I made butter cookies. Every Christmas, like clockwork, we would make these rather plain cookies. We would gather the ridiculous amount of butter and get to work. Once the dough was made we would flatten it out and proceed to cut out shapes with our cookie cutters. Of course they were Christmas themed so we had Christmas trees and snowman and all sorts of other fun shapes. I’m pretty sure my sister and I ate more of the dough then what was made into the actual cookies. We would sneak a chunk here and there and my dad would pretend like he didn’t see. After the cookies came out of the oven and had cooled off we would then decorate them with the icing we had made. The frosting was red and green of course, even though the red turned out more pinkish every time because we never put enough red die in it. It was a simple frosting made only of powdered sugar and a couple other basic ingredients. In the end we would be left with a huge mess and a lot of red and green frosted cookies.
This memory is important to me because it reminds me how much my dad cares. To this day I have an extremely strong relationship with my father. He worked very hard and everyday he got home around 6:30pm, but he still made time to make those cookies with my sister and I. Every once in a while when Christmas rolls around we all find time and get together to make these cookies that, while they are not necessarily the most delicious I have ever had, they certainly have an amazing taste that is all their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment