Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Salsa con mi novio

This particular food memory occurred not too long ago in my boyfriend's kitchen here at school. Over the summer we both lived at opposite ends of the state so we got to spend little time together. We are both very adventurous people and so we decided to try our hands at salsa making. We both very much enjoy hot and spicy food so this was going to be perfect for us to try. Our first stop was the grocery store where we stocked up on cilantro, onions, tomatoes, lime juice, onion powder and garlic powder. Plus we could not forget jalapenos to make it extra hot. All of these ingredients we were able to find on the backs of random salsa bottles in the store. The ones we chose just sounded right. Back in the kitchen we chopped onions and mixed all of the ingredients in a blender, called the magic bullet. I loved just being in the kitchen with my boyfriend after not seeing him for so long. Being able to make food is very empowering especially when you share the memory with someone special. If the food is tasty too than that's a good bonus. After blending all the ingredients I added extra onions for a chunkier texture. The smells in the kitchen were those of fresh ingredients, especially the onion, garlic and cilantro, which I personally love. This memory is important to me because I really enjoy spending time with my boyfriend and making delicious food is something that brings us closer together. I also have not made a lot of food on my own so I appreciate everything that my boyfriend can teach me. I am going to be making food for the rest of my life and I want to eventually be able to create wonderful meals all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment