Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fattigmann

Every year, since I can remember, exactly one week before christmas all the women in my family get together at my grandmother's house and make hundreds of norwegian cookies called Fattigmann. As a tradition, my Grandma Astrid always prepares the first batch of dough while we all watch and learn from the master. She refuses to write down her recipe because of the secret family ingredient that she claims makes her Fattigmann the best in Oslo!
Fattigmann truly are a Christmas luxury. The ingredients are especially expensive and they are known in Norway as the "poor man's cookie" because baking these cookies can turn a rich norwegian man poor after just a few batches. Fattigmann are quickly fried rather than baked on an elegant cookie press. Minutes after frying is my favorite time to eat Fattigmann. Still warm and extra soft from cooking, they melt in your mouth and engulf your taste buds with such a unique and delicate taste that only personal experience can sufficiently describe.
The kitchen is always full of smiles and laughter as we bake and bond. I learn so much about my heritage and family history. The memories and lessons that come from making Fattigmann are especially precious to me because as time goes on and loved ones pass, the family traditions tend to die with them. But this specific cookie keeps our family tradition going strong and for that I am so thankful.
Along with precious memories Fattigmann also have a magical way of bringing people together and filling your heart with love and happiness. The perfect addition to all the Christmas festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment