Monday, October 25, 2010

Haley Tellesbo

Ronzio, Robert A. The Encyclopedia of Nutrition and Good Health. New York, NY: Facts On File, 2003. Print.

This encyclopedia is on reference in the Owen Library and would be a great addition to my research. It includes a section related to diseases and nutrition. One part of my paper focuses on the salmonella outbreak and with this book I could give the facts concerning salmonella. Also included are the benefits and dangers of certain foods along with government outlines. I want to include in my research what the government does to protect us from dangerous foods.


Flickinger, Michael C. Encyclopedia of Biotechnology: Bioprocess, Bioseparation & Cell Technology. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2010. Print.

This encyclopedia focuses on industrial biological processes as well as techniques and equipment used in this field. However, most important to my research is the ethical and regulatory issues that rise with the products of biotechnology. I would use this as a reference to see what kind of regulatory issues are used today to keep food safe and if in fact businesses comply to these guidelines.

Kaptan, G., and B. Fischhoff. "Sticky Decisions: Peanut Butter in a Time of Salmonella." Emerging Infectious Diseases 16.5 (2010). EBSCOHost Food Science and Technology Abstracts. Web. 25 Oct. 2010.

I first narrowed my search to food and science and then chose the data base EBSCOHost Food Science and Technology abstracts. The key words I chose were peanut butter and salmonella and then I chose the second article on the list. This article argues that consumers might have made different decisions had they known the test results of some of the potentially contaminated peanut butter. This would be a good addition to my research since communication is key when preventing food borne illness.


Kuehn, Bridget M. "Salmonella Cases Traced to Egg Producers, Findings Trigger Recall of More Than 500 Million Eggs." The Journal of the American Medical Association 304.12 (2010). PubMed. Web. 25 Oct. 2010.

I found this article by searching under Health Science. Then I chose the PubMed database and used the keywords egg recall and salmonella. This article was first on the list. I really like this article because it gives the specifics on how the contamination was found and what the government did about it. Also introduced to me was the "egg safety rule" which came into effect after the egg recall. This rule requires egg producers to abide by precautions to ensure that another large-scale contamination does not occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment