Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Amy Foss- annotated bibliography 3

Works Cited
"Bulimia Nervosa." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2010. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 26 Oct. 2010 .

In this encyclopedia I searched for bulimia nervosa. When my search results came up both bulimia nervosa and anorexia were explained. This encyclopedia described bulimia as an eating disorder characterized by binge eating followed y inappropriate attempts to compensate for the binge. These are things such as fasting, excessive use of laxatives and enemas, self-induced vomiting, or excessive exercise. This is very helpful to me because before I thought that bulimia nervosa was strictly binge eating followed by purging, because that is how it was explained to me in school and everywhere else. I think that this point could be useful in my argument.

“Eating Disorders”Http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/eatingdisorders.html.Medline Plus. NIH(National Institute of Mental Health), 06 Oct. 2010. Web. 25 Oct. 2010. .

This encyclopedia gives me a definition of both anorexia and bulimia and also discusses how eating disorders are more prevalent in women rather than men. This site also has links to further explore the conditions such as treatments, coping, and prevention/ screening. This site will be beneficial to me because it gives me a complete overview of the disorders, so I will be able to better understand the bigger picture of the disorders.

Hesse-Biber, Sharlene, Margret Marino, and Diane Watts-Roy. "A Longitudinal Study of Eating Disorders Among College Women."Gender and Society 13.3 (1999): 385-408.

This article was on a study done to find out if women who developed and eating disorder are able to recover in their post-college years. The study also focused on the prevalence of eating disorders in college (4 to 9 percent). This article will help me in my research because it allows me to further understand the disorders and how they continue after college.

Rayworth, Beth B., Lauren A. Wise, and Bernard L. Harlow. "Childhood Abuse and Risk of Eating Disorders in Women.”Epidemiology 15.3 (2004): 271-78. Print.

This article argues the link between child violence victimization and eating disorders. It also argues that eating disorders are often chronic and develop from psychopathology and medical complications. This article focuses on the link between violence and abuse against women and how that links to them developing an eating disorder. This article is beneficial to my research because it discusses the women population as whole rather than just college women so I am able to thoroughly understand the causes.

1 comment:

  1. I read your article. Do you know what? It really interesting. One friend of my searched exactly for this information. I will recommend him to read this post. Also I found another article thta is clled annotated bibliography writing. There are some new things about annotated bibliography.

    ReplyDelete