Monday, August 30, 2010

No Coffee, No Workee

As I read through the other blog posts I realize that we all noticed one thing in common. People need their coffee. I know if I don’t get my coffee in the morning I’m very grumpy and not fun to deal with but I try not to drink so much that my energy level is affected by it and I don’t convulse when I don’t have any. As for some of the Starbucks customers that power-walk their way through the store, I don’t think I can say the same. As they make their way through the line, you can see their patience dwindling and without that morning caffeine burst, their patience is limited. The cashier tries to give them a smile and a cheery “Hi, what can I get started for you?” but by now it’s too late. The customer isn’t buying it and just blurts out their order, leaving no tip, making the barista a bit annoyed. The grumpy customer’s order is up and the employee gives it one last shot to cheer them up. “Have a nice day!” they say, but their efforts are fruitless as Grumpy walks away. Now I can’t say I haven’t responded to someone while grumpy but I would have at least given them a thanks and half-hearted smile. I don’t think people realize the impact their actions have on others sometimes. Grumpy allowed the day to start off bad and in turn may have made the barista’s and other coffee addict’s days bad too, just by their attitude. So lighten up people, there will always be time for coffee.



Bower, Anne. Recipes for Reading: Community Cookbook, Stories, Histories.
Coe, Sophie D. and Michael D. Coe. The True History of Chocolate.
Daniel, Carolyn. Voracious Children: Who Eats Whom in Children’s Literature.
Lévi-Strauss, Claude. The Origin of Table Manners.
Singer, Peter and Jim Mason. The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter.

I chose these sources because when I read some these titles, I thought of my family. For example, The Origin of Table Manners caught my eye because many people don’t necessarily teach their children manners anymore. My sort of niece has no table manners whatsoever but her uncle (my brother-in-law) is polite as can be. My sister has been trying to teach her how to politely ask for things and she’s making headway but she still has a long way to go. When I was younger, if we weren’t polite we’d get in trouble so we knew that it was important. Another source that reminds me of my family is The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter. Out of the three kids in my family, I was the only one that would eat vegetables. The other two still won’t eat them but I love them! The last three sources just sounded interesting to me, especially The True History of Chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment